I’ve decided to try to chronicle our trip for Matthew for when he gets bigger – since he won’t remember this trip at all. Please feel free to skip these posts as I know that other people’s vacations are far from exciting for other people to read. HA!
Oh, Matthew, what a day we’ve had!
We were so ready for this trip! You and I were packed three days ago, but our bags and belongings were planned long before then. I set out your shorts and t-shirts two weeks ago and got them all washed up and ready to go so that we knew if there was anything we were missing. Because I buy so many clothes for you a year in advance while they’re on clearance, we didn’t need to purchase anything but sandals. Hooray!
Daddy and I both did a lot of things prior to the trip to make it go as smoothly as possible. There were a LOT of things to do prior to the trip, holy smokes! Below is what we did to make the trip easy for all of us. Both Daddy and I planned ahead for your happiness on the plane…. we wanted you to enjoy it as much as possible!
- We took your big stroller due to storage space and planned to just gate checked it at boarding time – having your favorite stroller kept you comfortable, especially while at the check-in counter
- I got the Britax travel bag with wheels and backpack straps for your car seat so we could drag it and carry it – depending on what we felt like at the time. That bag had lots of space in it so we used it to store your blanket, food bag, backpack leash, etc. without having to claim another carry-on item
- I read the manual the day before our flight on how to install your car seat on a plane, and checked out all the connection points prior to leaving the house so that I’d know how to install it very quickly once on the plane
- I loaded up the car seat manual because everyone insisted that the airline people would want to see the documentation that your seat was FAA approved for airline use
- Daddy got you a backpack leash to keep you close to us, but to let yourun around as well. Your backpack leash is in the shape of a cute lion and you LOVE it!
- I packed yours and my stuff 3 days in advance so that I wasn’t rushing at the end
- I cut fruit and put each thing in small containers that you could handle on the plane
- I packed a whole avocado and banana since you love them sooooo much
- I packed an empty water cup that we filled once we got through security
- I took a regular size diaper bag and loaded it with your food, diapers, my wallet, ID’s, our boarding passes, and an extra shirt for you (just in case!)
- In my carry on, I loaded up mini tubs of play dough, a mini etch a sketch, and wonder markers and paper – but we never had to pull those out for you
- Daddy bought lots of little toys and put them in his carry on and we kept them hidden until we were in the air
We thought about getting you up early today so that you’d sleep on the plane, but I worried that we ran the risk of you not sleeping on the plane, and then you being extra grumpy later on because we got you up early. So we let you sleep until 7:30. Once up, we fed you quickly, showered, and got ready! Daddy loaded up the car with the bags that we all had packed and ready the night before, and I made sure not to forget your sound machine and favorite blanket! We got Lily loaded up to take her to the vet (spa) and you sure enjoyed taking her in the car with you! We left the house just 12 minutes after I’d planned, so I was pretty happy with that.
We got to the airport and Daddy and I executed on the plan I’d come up with with help from my mom friends who have travelled a bit with toddlers. Daddy and I talked about my plan the night before, so we were set and ready to go once we got to the airport.
- Daddy dropped us off at the airport drive, put you in your stroller, and unloaded luggage while I bagged up your car seat. I hadn’t practiced the process of bagging up your seat, and that was tricky, but we got it! I put your car seat on my back and we were off!
- You and I waited inside for Daddy to park the car. This worked out great because the line was long, and there were ample things for you to look at. Daddy met us just as we were getting ready to check our 3 checked bags, so that was perfect (and went according to PLAN!)
- At security, I went first and got out all of our liquids ready for inspection (your food pouches count as liquids, so we had to have pouches that were 3 oz and no more) and unloaded stroller. The folks at the security line were SO helpful! They offered to take your car seat from me and also the stroller for a hand-check, which meant we didn’t need to deal with it. Daddy kept you while I finished unloading stuff and then I took you through the scanner. You waited like a good boy for me to come behind you. HA! Daddy went to get your stroller and car seat while I reloaded bags with the leash attached to you. That was AWESOME! We loaded up the stroller and were off! It took less than 5 minutes
- We kept you on the leash but let you run wild and look at the planes and trucks!
- At boarding time, I went first with your car seat to get it installed and ready for you. I am so glad I prepped the day before on how to install it, because it would have been hard not knowing what to do! And for the record, we were asked by 4 people if your car seat was FAA approved, and it was so handy just pulling out the manual, open to that page, and presenting it to them for inspection.
- Daddy brought you on the plane once your seat was installed. You were so excited to see your seat that you hopped right in! We strapped you in and you were ready to go.
You did fuss on the plane here and there, but we gave you toys throughout the flight and you were just fine. You even fell asleep! We did feed you on the way up, so that you were swallowing and clearing your ears well, and then again on the way down. Your ears didn’t seem to bother you at all. You were just so good! Once we landed, Daddy took you off the plane to get your stroller and change your pants while I loaded your car seat back up in the bag – and that was it! Your first flight since you were 8 weeks old was a success!
Daddy went to get the car seat while you and I got luggage. Daddy got your seat loaded up and you were such a good boy during the drive – but you didn’t fall asleep at all. We got to the resort and you LOVED it! You still weren’t done exploring the condo when it was bed time – you just loved running around so much! You enjoy opening the main door way too much and we need to keep the safety lock on it so you don’t escape. You watched the kids playing in the pool 12 floors below and you thought that was a hoot. Your favorite part though? Your favorite part so far is that Curious George came with you for the trip! Daddy bought a special cable to hook his Surface up to the TV and we can freely stream CG all day long, if needed. It’s like you’re still at home!
We did grab dinner and groceries, and you had a great time at Walm.art with Daddy while I got a few things (divide and conquer!). You watched some CG before bed time and then we did our normal routine in your own room here at the condo – and you went to sleep without a peep. I cannot believe it! I know you’re super tired, but still!
So I would say that your first day of vacation is a success, my handsome boy! You made things so easy for us, we can’t believe it!
Tomorrow, we go to the Magic Kingdom! You’re going to LOVE it!